Introduction

Hello, my name is Harmony and I am from Sooke, BC. I am in a Bachelor of Science with a combined major in Biology and Psychology at UVic. I am in my fourth and final year of my bachelor degree, which I am super excited about and am starting to put my applications together for medical school and a variety of different masters degrees in the field of Psychology. I also work 2 jobs, one as a pharmacy assistant and the other as a behavioural interventionist working with children and families with Autism, both of which I love. I live alone with my 2 cats Pepper and Poppy, who are very active and unlike other cats really enjoy being walked on leashes. I can often be found with friends going for long walk or hikes in any spare time that I can find, which has been pretty scarce these days.

Imagine by Harmony Pierce

Image by Harmony Pierce

The photos above show my 2 cats, Pepper and Poppy and a picture that I took of the view from Whiffin Spit, located in Sooke, BC.

EDCI and Open and Distributed Learning

I must say, this course is very different from any other courses that I have taken before. I recently started becoming more interested in the topics of education and EDCI through exploring different masters degrees and my job as a behavioural interventionist. In my job working with children and families with Autism, visuals and interactive learning tools are essential. One thing that I have learnt through experience in this job is that people thrive on routine and having the proper tools available to them communicate their needs to others. This is even more true for those on the Autism spectrum, especially those who have harder times communicating verbally or in ways society deems normal/typical.

I personally consider myself to be fairly knowledgable when it comes to technology. I think a large part of this is because of the generation that I grew up in, where we explored and got to experience the beginning stages of different social media platforms and our education systems slowly turning to be more online. This become even more true through covid, where everything became online and we have adapted to still using a lot of these forms of online communication in our everyday lives post-pandemic. I think social media is an amazing tool when it is used responsibly, we are able to learn from each other and connect with people, whether it be friends, family, or people with common interests.

I plan on following safe online practices and hope to learn how I can further protect and build my digital identity. I am excited to see what this course has to offer!